Highly held and referred as the ‘God’s Own Country’, the state of Kerala, India is one of the most beautiful destinations in the world and monsoon is the season that’s home to this incredible land of wonder. Unlike most other places which remind us incessant rains and thunderstorms lasting all the season by the word ‘monsoon’, this exquisite place is in its natural beauty and is enjoyed best during Kerala monsoon season.
Unlike other parts of the country, Kerala has a monsoon climate where though you could see the silver lining in the horizon, golden rays of sunshine peeps in between the rains for few hours. All of it calls for a treat for your eyes and mind.
Take a look below to know what’s in store for you in this land of extravagant wonders, if you decide not to let this grace slip from your hands and have a vacation of your lifetime.
- Being covered by the vast Arabian Sea on the west and the hills and mountains of Western Ghats in the East and North East which shields it from the dry winds, Kerala is phenomenally blessed with a heavenly landscape and climate.
- The Monsoon season starts by the end of May or early June.
- There are two Monsoons named after the respective winds that bring them. In Malayalam, it’s called ‘Edavapathi’ and ‘Thulavarsham’, being occurring in the Malayalam Calendar Months of ‘Edavam’ and ‘Thulam’ respectively.
- The ‘Edavapathi’, also known as the ‘South West Monsoon’, is brought on by the south west monsoon winds from the Arabian Sea. About 85% of rain is brought on by these winds.
- The South West Monsoon has an average temperature range of 19°C to 30°
- The days of South West Monsoon are the best time to savor the best delights.
- The ‘Thulavarsham’, also known as the ‘North East Monsoon’ or ‘Retreat Monsoon’ is brought on by the returning South West Monsoon winds. These winds feature a full scale Thunderstorm in all its rage with heavy lightning, mostly during the noon spell of the day.
- This Monsoon spreads over the months of October and November.
- This is a bit of rough climate compared to the South West Monsoon since the rains comes packed with strong thunder and lightning.
Why should you visit Kerala during monsoon?
There’s much more than what it meets the eye.
- Monsoon is usually off-season:
- This is often considered an off-season, and people who are less familiar with the climate mistakes it to rain cats & dogs all day.
- This means less tourists and travelers due to this misconception.And that rings the bell for great discounts at the hotels, Kerala tour packages, transports and even food stalls since they all are probably starved of customers and will go low with the prices to lure the tourists as much as they can.
- Most of the tourist’s locations are minimally crowded. It’s a green flag to enjoy and experience the landscape like beaches, waterfalls, etc at the ease and peace of mind you always wanted.
Monsoon is the native climate:
- Most landscapes are in their true splendor and staggering elegance in the monsoon.
- Most of the beauty of Kerala lies in or around its water bodies and the hills. You guessed it right! It’s the best time!
- There’s freshness of green everywhere, there’s chill in the air, there are breezes brushing past you and the bliss of the sunshine in between the drizzles when enjoyed with a strong brewed coffee in the evening in a tree house or a cottage in the woods, believe me, there’s nothing better than that. I bet the thought itself is tempting enough!
- And the good news for you is, there’s a significant flabbergasting off on almost every Kerala Tourism Packages such as Kerala Honeymoon Packages, Kerala Monsoon Packages, Kerala Honeymoon Tour Packages, etc under the brand name of not only the Tourism Cooperation of Kerala but also by sites which offers Kerala Tour Packages. This time of the year is right to grab the best appeasing deal. It’s a win-win situation if you ask me!
If culture interests you, monsoon is your golden ticket:
- The grand cultural festive of Onam comes during the Monsoon. The celebrations last at the least for 10 days. If you want to experience the heart of the cultural heritage, Monsoon is the season you should pack your bags.
- If food is your niche, the meals during Onam are seriously going to blow your mind and taste-buds. I bet you wouldn’t see such a great variety of dishes served anywhere else in the world!
- The festival of Onam is very special and its celebrations are exquisitely grand ranging from water sports to different forms of arts.
- And that said the boat race is something you don’t want to miss. This water sport is really spectacular and has years of tradition behind it. It’s something incredible and you will find yourself dancing to the beat of the festive.
- The world famous legendary art forms such as Kathakali, Mohiniyatam, Thiruvathirakali are on an elegant display during Onam. This is an experience of a lifetime you shouldn’t miss!
Monsoon and rejuvenation are siblings by nature:
- Just like the nature’s new green, monsoon is a season to relax and rejuvenate.
- Many people visit Kerala just for its world renowned expertise in Ayurveda. People from India as well as far away from the west travels all the way to God’s own country for this sole purpose!
- Monsoon is scientifically the most apt season to get Ayurvedic treatment and rejuvenation through it. Every Ayurvedic practitioner you come across will recommend it. And the reason is, most of the rejuvenating Ayurvedic treatments cause internal body heat and your pores are most receptive during monsoon. Thus it’s highly effective compared to any other season.
- Most of the Kerala Monsoon Tour Packages or Kerala Monsoon Honeymoon Packages will feature a rejuvenating Ayurvedic treatment along with it. That’s something you will get only during Monsoon.
- A little warning though, you are going to love it and probably going to return next year and the year after that and the year after that..You won’t be able to stop yourself from wanting to get relaxed and feel pepped. Extremely addictive!!
The Monsoon Experience in Kerala is a complete mind-blowing package and it’s sure to be an experience you will cherish for the rest of your life. Make sure you visit Kerala at least once in your lifetime during this season. I can bet a million, you won’t be able to resist the ambiance in this part of the world.